Monday, January 25, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

Twitter and the Medical Field

Twitter is a social media source that can relay news and other information onto users. I searched multiple phrases such as "Twitter Physiology" and "Twitter Plastic Surgery" since these are the disciplines I currently and apart of. This allows me to read the Twitter feeds and see what people are saying about my major or jobs within my major that people frequently try to apply to. 

Twitter Accounts Used: @ASPS_News and @PSChannel

People on Twitter seem to be talking about the different types of plastic surgeries people can get. There is a lot of discussion about the benefits of breast implants, tummy tucks, face lifts, and other cosmetic procedures. There also is a lot of talk about the "fake" parts of people due to plastic surgery.  There seems to be a lot of talk about celebrities who are opening up about their plastic surgery too. For example, Khloe Kardashian opened up about all of the plastic surgery she received and how she feels more beautiful than before.

In my opinion, the first most interesting conversation/story I found was about when is it considered too young to get plastic surgery to avoid bullying. I chose this because changing oneself and their own image is not the answer to bullying. Plastic surgery is not the path to take to make your life better in that sense. The link is as follows: http://www.theplasticsurgerychannel.com/teen-plastic-surgery/ via @PSchannel (Twitter). The next most interesting story I found was about the first successful hand transplant that was done in Toronto, Canada. I found this interesting because this type of success story will lead to more successful stories within the plastic surgery field. Something like a hand transplant will give hope to plastic surgeons and their patients to successfully do procedures just like this one. This is the link to the story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-doctors-peform-first-successful-hand-transplant-1.3400292 via @PSChannel (Twitter).

I see a huge population of people who want to look younger and better than ever based on what I have seen in my discipline. I get the impression of my discipline being a "hero" type of field to be a part of. I did not anticipate the Twitter feed to be talking about teens getting plastic surgery. However, I did expect the majority of topics I saw, such as benefits, success stories, and so on.

Mutter, James. "In the O.R. with Dr. Vishal Kapoor, Photo  of Mini Facelift Surgery" October 11, 2009 via flickr. Attribution-NonCommerical-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic License.


No comments:

Post a Comment