Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Course Projects

The Four Major Projects in English 109H for Spring 2016 

1. What are you most confused by or nervous about in regards to the four major projects?
  • I am not confused about any of the projects in general. I am mostly just nervous about approaching the projects. I am nervous to come up with a postmortem about something in my major (Physiology) because I do not know a lot of controversies in the medical field thus far. Other than that, I am not nervous about anything else. 
2. What are you most interested in or excited by in regards to the four major projects?
  • I am mostly excited about the Reflective Self-Assessment out of the four major projects. I say this because I want to discover how far I've come from the start of this course to the end of this course. I want to see how many new friends I made in class, what I have learned in terms of using new media platforms and different genres, and if I have improved my academic skills and time management since the start of the semester. 
3. Based on your understanding of the major projects, what are the elements of this course that you have to plan ahead for? How will the coursework described in the four project assignment sheets challenge your time management skills this semester?
  • I will have to plan out the steps I will take to attack these projects. This means I will have to devote a certain amount of time to the projects so that I can build my projects using steps and maintain good time management. I will also have to set up and schedule my interviews for the Rhetorical Investigation project. I will have to plan ahead when I plan on renting the different media devices the school has to offer. The coursework for this semester in this class will challenge my time management skills by testing me on my autonomy of getting the work done every Sunday by 11:59pm. 
4. How has your past English coursework in high school or college prepared you for the challenges of this course? What skills will you bring into the course with you?
  • My past English coursework in high school has done a good job in preparing me for this course. For example, we had major research projects and papers that were similar to this course in terms of time management and deadlines that would eventually turn into a final masterpiece. In this course, I will bring with me my effort, vocabulary skills, media knowledge, and so on that will help me tackle these four major projects. 
5. Do you have any questions about the four major projects that haven't been answered by the assignment sheets? What do you still want to know?
  • I do not have any questions about the four major projects that haven't been answered by the assignment sheets.
Reflection:

I learned that many of my classmates share the same emotions regarding the projects and modules we have to complete this semester. Most of us are nervous or scared for the four major projects and using new genres we have never used before. A lot of us are in agreement about planning ahead and challenging our time management skills during the semester. This all made me feel relieved because I did not want to be the only one who felt nervous about the course and the work it would require. I realized that we are all in the same boat though. Now, I think it will be easier for me to approach this course since I know my other classmates feel the same towards the course. 


3 comments:

  1. Arun,

    I agree with you that finding a controversy is going to be difficult. However, I am sure that there are probably many in your field that you can find! I also agree with all of the planning and research that has to happen for these projects. They are not going to be easy and it is going to force us to use our time management skills wisely. Like you, I am also very excited for the Reflection Self-Assessment project and to see how far I have come during this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arun,
    I can totally relate to you on all of your hesitations about the coursework for this class. I too have trouble shaving down a broad topic and turning it into a specific one, all while trying to have a lot of information to work with. You're not alone on this one and I'm sure we will all figure out ways to effectively manage our time. Like Emily said above, I too am excited for the Self Reflection assignment. It is going to be really cool looking back and seeing how far we have come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arun,
    I understand your hesitance in regards to finding issues in your field since I too am a biology-related major. I am currently in a bioethics class and we recently watched a video related to a child that had a gender-assignment surgery done against his wishes. This issue could possible be something worth looking into if you're interested in such problems. I am glad to see that you are excited about the final reflection and your description of why made me realize that is it something that I too should look forward to.
    All the best,
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete